December 2015


15 December 2015


Move to Brown continues


Last month I noted that I had some new brown interior parts being built, and that some of them were expected shortly. The first batch did arrive, and more progress has been made. Here's a review of the entire project so far.


The car was originally equipped with an all brown interior. One of the prior owners in the late '90s had the interior recovered in ivory leather when the original brown was getting tired. Here's a picture of what that looked like when I bought the car:

Porsche picture

Since I did not find the ivory leather easy to clean, or even terribly attractive, I always planned to revert back to brown. I began this process late last spring with the purchase of a pair of factory sport seats. They were well worn, but suitable to be restored. I sent them and the back seats out of the car to Autobahn Interiors to be rebuilt and recovered. Here is a shot with those fresh seats in the car this last summer.

Porsche picture

That's still what the interior looked like until sometime in October. At that time I removed the rear quarter trim panels and sent those panels, the rear speakers and a large roll of brown vinyl to Appbiz. Their job was to build new door trim panels, a matching new rear deck panel, and to rebuild and recover my existing rear quarter trim panels. The speakers were sent so that they could custom fit them into the new rear deck panel. I knew that there would be some delay with the quarter trim, as working on or replacing those is a new product offering for them. Here are shots of the door and deck trim when they were delivered last month.

Porsche picture

Porsche picture

One thing leads to another. The new door panels looked so good, I decided I needed to upgrade my plans some. I didn't want to hack up the new panels, so I bought a new pair of MB Quart 5ΒΌ" speakers to fit the original size openings. Also found that the factory original front speaker grills are still available, so I bought a pair of those and the matching mounting cup/shields. New clips, new door release cables. etc.

When the speakers and other bits arrived, I got started on the passenger door. Cleaned off all the old glue from the door shell, and cut a new moisture shield, which I attached with aluminum tape instead of spraying glue all over.

After some careful trimming and fitting, I got it on the car. In the first two pictures, the door pocket is not on yet. The final picture is complete, and the driver's side is the same.

Porsche picture

Porsche picture

Porsche picture

The rear deck panel is not permanently attached yet, I want to wait until the quarter trim panels are in place before screwing the deck trim down. The rear quarter trim is supposed to be ready to ship by the end of this week. I'm thrilled with the results so far, can't wait to finish this up.


Continued in January...